The history of Sunflower U.P. Federal Credit Union
Sunflower UP Federal Credit Union was formed January 14, 1952 by seven Union Pacific Railroad employees. The par value of a share was $5.00, just as it is today. Membership was open to employees of the Fourth Subdivision of the Union Pacific Railroad and their families. The first office was in the Roundhouse of the Union Pacific Railroad depot, run by one of the founders, Paul Hulse.
At some point in the 1960’s the office was moved to the Professional Building on Broadway Street of Marysville. Ida Finnigan was the 1st manager followed by Emma Berkley in 1968, JoAnn Peeks in 1978, Janet Fritschi in 1997, and current manager Jim Hull in 2020.
The credit union had several office locations in downtown Marysville including: 708 Center and 1100 Broadway, and 822 Broadway. In 2019 the credit union completed construction of our current facility at 407 Broadway. This location allowed for more office space, a drive thru teller window, and a 24-hour accessible ATM.
Starting with just the employees and families of the Fourth Subdivision of the Union Pacific Railroad the field of membership for the credit union has continued to expand over time. In March of 1973 membership was expanded to include UPRR employees working on the St. Joseph and Manhattan branches. In 1993 employees of Tension Envelope Corporation working in Marysville were added. In the following years membership was opened to employees of several other area employers. In 2017 Sunflower UP Federal Credit Union obtained our current community charter. This opened our field of membership to “Persons who live, worship, work (or regularly conduct business in), or attend school in, and businesses and other legal entities, in Marshall, Washington, or Nemaha Counties, Kansas”. This change in charter led us to change our name to Sunflower Community Credit Union to better represent our expanded membership base and openness to serving the entire community.